Framework Plan Implementation Updates
Housing & Development
- As a result of the public Request for Proposal (RFP) process in Fall 2017, Anchor Team DDR Group was selected as the development team to rehabilitate the former Holcomb Elementary School. For more information on the RFP process visit www.detroitmi.gov/holcomb
- "Design Center In A Box" a competition funded by a 2017 Knight Cities Challenge grant selected a design team in August for the activation of a vacant storefront as a community design center, hosting exhibitions and meetings related to neighborhood planning, City staff office hours and pop-up retail. The project will be installed within the "Obama Building", a renovation project underway by local developer, The Platform, at the corner of Grand River and Lahser, and is expected to open late Spring 2019. More information on the competition at www.designcenterinabox.org
Parks & Open Space
- The former Rogell Golf Course was identified as an opportunity site during the framework planning process. Master-planning for uses on the site was completed with community stakeholders during the Spring of 2018 and acquisition completed by the City of Detroit in Summer 2018. The City of Detroit General Services Department will begin planning for the open space amenities on the site with the community beginning in Summer 2019
- In 2019 the City will begin the design process for landscape and pedestrian infrastructure improvements in the Old Redford neighborhood with the goal of addressing city-owned vacant land and increasing connections between neighborhood places and spaces. Meetings will be held with resident and community stakeholders beginning in the Spring.
- MDOT, working with the City of Detroit, will begin design in November for streetscape improvements on Grand River to transform the roadway into a walkable environment, adding amenities, increasing safety, and supporting local businesses. The project is expected to start construction Summer 2019.
- The City Road Bond will fund additional improvements on City roads adjacent to the Grand River, including a proposed festival street in Old Redford and the creation of "GRANDparklet" at the intersection of Puritan, Plainview and Grand River. Design will begin in 2019 targeting construction start in Spring 2020.
Grand River Streetscape Meetings:
In preparation for the Grand River Avenue road project scheduled to begin Construction Summer 2019, the City of Detroit, in collaboration with Councilmember Tate and Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) will hold a series of design meetings from December 2018 through April 2019. Please stay tuned for announcements of meeting times and locations as they are finalized. Flyers will also be posted here in pdf for community distribution.
Dates, Times & Locations:
- October 22nd 8:30am at Grandmont Rosedale Development Corporation
- October 23rd 6:00pm at Crowell Recreation Center
- October 22 & 23rd, 2018:
- MDOT Concept Design Meeting
Thursday December 13th, 2018, 5:30-7:30pm at Crowell Recreation Center (16630 Lahser Rd)
Grand River Northwest Neighborhood Framework Plan Meetings
- February 15, 2017 at the Artist Village
- March 22, 2017 at Bushnell Congregational Church
- April 18, 2017 Open House at Pure Word Missionary Baptist Church
- May 23, 2017 at Bushnell Congregational Church
Thanks to all who attended the April 26, 2018 Implementation Launch and Councilmember Tate's D1 Meeting on April 28. The presentation slides and additional resources are posted below. If you did not have the opportunity to sign up for focus groups for particular projects and initiatives, please contact Michele Flournoy at [email protected]