1. THE STAR FORT
– Build in the 1840’s as a part of the chain of defenses along the
northern border of the United States. By 1849, the British threat
diminished and the US Army mothballed the fort until the demands of the
Civil war required a recruiting and training station for Michigan
troops. Over the next century the Fort became an increasingly
significant supply depot for the Army. In 1948 the Army began to
decommission Fort Wayne and the Army transferred it to the City of
Detroit. Open to the public on the guided tours.
OFFICER’S ROW & HOSPITAL
– You will notice the condition of the Post Hospital (across from the
Star Fort) and the NCO Row (along the W. Jefferson St. green), are in
poor condition due to a long period of decline. The Detroit Historical
Museums and Society hope to rejuvenate the fort and surrounding areas
beginning with an extensive preservation and restoration plan.
3. SPANISH AMERICAN
WAR GUARD HOUSE
– Built in 1889, it provides a glimpse of the fort’s security and
corrections system. Restored in 1984, it once again features bunks,
cells, and exercise yard. Open to the public on the guided tours.
4. PARADE GROUND AND
– Along the river lies the parade ground. Once the site of Army
drilling, camping, and storage, today community events and re-enactments
make for enjoyable use of the spacious grounds. This being the narrowest
point on the Detroit River, it offers a great view of Canada.
- Restored in the 1980s to its 1890s appearance, this handsome cottage
on the Commanding officers row features period furnishings. Open to the
public on the guided tours.
6. INDIAN MOUND
– This mound, a burial site, demonstrates over 900 years of local Native
P – Parking