The Detroit City Airport was renamed the Coleman A. Young Airport in honor of the late Coleman A. Young in 2003. Since 1927, the Coleman A. Young Airport has played an integral role in metropolitan Detroit’s regional transportation system. The airport first served as the region’s only air carrier facility, providing Detroit with a gateway to cities throughout the North American continent.
The airport is a port of entry, and U.S. Customs/Immigration provide services to arriving flights requiring customs clearance. The airport is managed by a staff of employees, including a director.
The Airport Department has the responsibility of holding land for the Coleman A. Young Airport. The Director recommends the enactment of ordinances designed to safeguard the public against the perils and hazards of aerial navigation.
The airport has its own fire station, maintenance and administrative support staff. Among its tenants are aircraft fuel service operator, certified flight instructors, freight and charter operators and aircraft repair service.
The Airport encompasses 263 acres with two runways and associated taxiway systems. The primary runway, 15/33, is 5,100 feet long with a full instrument landing system. The secondary runway is 4,100 feet long for visual flight operations, exclusively. Both runways are 100 feet wide.
The Airport is available for aircraft operations 24 hours, 365 days a year.