In an effort to further develop Mayor Duggan's commitment to neighborhoods, the City of Detroit's Planning and Development Department (PDD) has embarked on new community planning initiatives in several Detroit neighborhoods, including Islandview, West Village, Indian Village, and East Village.
The City of Detroit is mobilized to create a neighborhood strategy and implementation plan for Detroit's lower east side. The scope of work will incorporate the following categories
- Landscape Design and Green Stormwater Infrastructure
- Streetscape and Neighborhood Connectivity
- Development: Economic, Housing, and Historic Preservation
- Zoning Assessments
Our planning team, which includes Detroit-based firm Smith Group JJR, will harness the extensive past planning and implementation work of neighborhood organizations and their partners to build a comprehensive vision for the community.
Please contact Maria Galarza at: email@example.com or call: (313) 749 - 8819
Sign-up for Updates and Reminders
Community meetings will be held in March, May, and June. In April we hope to attend meetings of existing community-based organizations to gather feedback from residents about the planning scopes. We encourage residents to plug in to community organizations. Staff will also be available to hear your input at Butzel Family Recreation Center, 7737 Kercheval Avenue. Check back and/or suggest times for staff availability.
To suggest times and locations for staff availability, email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
May Community Workshops
Save the Date for community workshops, same workshop, two opportunities:
- Thursday, May 18th from 6-8 pm @ Gleaners Community Food Bank [2131 Beaufait St.]
- Saturday, May 20th from 3-5 pm @ Capuchin Soup Kitchen [1264 Meldrum St.]
Project kickoff meetings were held in March, with the same presentation delivered at three locations across the project area. You can download the presentation here. In addition, there was an activity that asked residents to share where they cross Jefferson Ave, where they would prefer to cross, and to mark which streets residents avoid. The maps for each session can be found below.
- Tuesday, March 14 @ Butzel Recreation Center Hosted by West Village Association & Eco-D - Feedback Map
- Tuesday, March 21 @ Genesis Lutheran Church Hosted by GenesisHOPE - Feedback Map
- Tuesday, March 23 @ Southeastern High School Hosted by City of Detroit - Feedback Map
A copy of our March meetings summary can be found using the following link - March Meeting Summary
Check back here for more details about time and agendas. We look forward to seeing you at future meetings. Please share with your neighbors!