The Detroit water, sewer and drainage rates are reviewed every spring and adjusted, if needed, every summer. The Detroit Board of Water Commissioners, in a public forum, reviews and approves the rates for Detroit residential and commercial customers.
Several factors are computed as part of the Detroit water and sewer rates. They include:
- Water purchased through the Great Lakes Water Authority;
- Citywide volume usage;
- Operation and maintenance of distribution lines, water mains and sewer infrastructure;
- Capital improvement programs;
- Sewerage disposal;
- Collecting and treating rain water and snow melt from rooftops, lawns and paved
- Cost of noncollectable accounts from residents and businesses; and
- Debt payments.
Water and sewer rates for Detroit customers in 2017-2018
Water and sewer rates for suburban customers in 2017-2018