Do you have an overflow or sewer backup?

  • Contact the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) immediately at 313-267-7401 upon discovery of an overflow or sewer backup.
  • If you have an overflow or sewer backup into your home or business, complete a DWSD property damage claim form. State law requires you file a written claim with DWSD within 45 days after the overflow or backup was discovered.


Attention DWSD customers:

The City of Detroit is committed to helping our affected homeowners and renters recover from heavy rainfall on August 16, 2016. If your home experienced a sewage backup from this rain event, you may file a claim with DWSD. Receipts and photographs are not required to submit an initial claim. DWSD will follow-up with you and request receipts, photographs and other supporting documentation. All claims, electronic, mail, or in-person, must be submitted by September 30, 2016 to DWSD. Customers can expect a response within 90 days.


If the date of your overflow or sewer backup has been more than 45 days, then you are no longer eligible to submit a claim.


If you do not wish to submit your claim online, you can mail it to:

Detroit Water and Sewerage Department

6425 Huber
Detroit, MI 48211
ATTN: Claims Division

Download the DWSD Claim Form (pdf)



All Other Overflow and Backup Claims:

  • You may now complete and submit a Detroit Water and Sewerage Property Damage Claim form online. A DWSD representative will follow-up with you to request any additional information.  Customers will receive a response to their claim within 90 days.
  • The claim form must be completed in its entirety. Failure to provide the required document will bar your claim.
    Mail the claim form to:
    Detroit Water and Sewerage Department
    6425 Huber
    Detroit, MI  48211
    ATTN: Claims Division