Right-of-Way Changes 
The City Engineering Division evaluates requests for status changes (easements, dedications, vacations and encroachments) for alley and street closings. Status changes in the public right-of-way (streets and alleys) require the resolution/approval of City Council and may require additional permits. Questions regarding right-of-way changes should be directed to the DPW-City Engineering Division, Survey Bureau, at (313) 224-3970.

Right-of-Way Specifications
City Engineering Division publishes a manual of Standard Plans and Specifications for Paving and Related Construction. Right-of-way construction work must comply with the specifications described in this manual. The manual is available for sale for $25 from the City Engineering Division – Permit Center located at

Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
2 Woodward Avenue
Room 642
Detroit, Mi 48228