If you want to live or work in Detroit, there are opportunities for you!!
You Must Obtain a Building Permit or Occupancy Permit
You must visit the Buildings,Safety Engineering & Environmental, located at the Coleman A.
Young Municipal Center, 2 Woodward Avenue, Zoning Counter, Room 409, Detroit, Michigan
48226 to obtain the required permit necessary to open your business. This is a very important
step that must be done. A Certificate of Occupancy will be issued when a permit is completed.
After the building has been certified for your intended use, proceed to step 2.
Choose a Name for Your Business or If You, Incorporate Your Business, You Must Register
information on assumed names online.
If You Incorporate Your Business, You Must Register:
If you incorporate or establish a limited partnership, you must register with the State of
Michigan. Please get legal advice about operating as a sole proprietor, a partnership, a limited
partnership or a corporation. Incorporation forms are available on the Web site for the
Department of Labor and Economic Growth. Click here.
You Must Obtain a Sales Tax Number or Apply for Your Federal Tax ID Number
You Must Obtain A Sales Tax Number:
Division. Click here.
Apply For Your Federal Tax ID Number:
Apply For Your Detroit Business License
You must have a Detroit business license to operate certain types of businesses in the city. For a list of businesses that need licenses, click here. Apply for the license at the Business License Center, Room 402, Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, Two Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48226. The Business License Application is also available for printing, click here. The division phone number is (313) 224-3178. You must pay all license fees when you apply.
• Assumed Name or Articles of Corporation Papers
• Information for all applicants and/or stockholders/corporation officers
• Home Address
• Telephone Numbers
• Driver License or State Identification Card
• Social Security Number
• Birth certificate
• Acceptable Form of Payment: Cash, Certified Check, Money Order or Credit Card (Master Card & Visa)
• Federal Identification Number (if applicable)
• Proof of property ownership – Lease (Notarized) or Land Contract/Property Deed (registered with Wayne County)
• Building Permit or Occupancy Permit (from the Zoning Counter, Room 409, Coleman A. Young Municipal Center)
Applicant must also submit the following supporting documents:
• Read the Requirements for Income Tax Clearance Document.
• Complete the Request for Income Tax Clearance form. Print a copy of the form.
• Complete the Employer's Withholding Registration form. Print a copy of the form.
• Complete the Accounts Receivable Clearance form. Print a copy of the form.
Forms Cannot Be Filed Electronically At This Time
Submit Completed Application including all Legal and Supporting Documents listed under Step 4.
Schedule All Required Inspections for Business Location.
Important Note: Permits and Inspections will be required prior to opening your business.
A Certificate of License will be issued once all approvals are secured. All Licenses Are Renewable Annually