March 15, 2017
Recent Actions and Events:
- A boil water advisory was issued for a large portion of the city on the evening of February 28 and lifted on the morning of March 3 following low-pressure from the Great Lakes Water Authority (GLWA) Water Works Park facility.
- Homeland Security hosted an internal after-action report meeting onMarch 7 with DWSD, GLWA, the Mayor’s Office, Health Department, Police, Fire, EMS and Detroit Public Schools (hospitals were invited).
- An improved response and communication policy will be delivered to the Mayor’s Office on March 17 –a framework for all city agencies.
- The Drainage Charge Program staff participated in several outreach events to educate customers, and continues work on policy and communication.
- Director Gary Brown was a keynote speaker at the Water Infrastructure Conference on March 7 co-hosted by the MDEQ, City of Flint and the American Water Works Association.
- The presentation focused on water affordability, lead service line replacement and green infrastructure, with a call-to-action for funding and legislation to address those areas.
Upcoming Actions and Events (March - February):
- The availability for DWSD customers to conveniently pay at more than 30 kiosks is expected to launch in March, pending internal testing.
- The Drainage Charge and Credit Program will have a reboot in order to address concerns from the community.
- The phase-in remains the same: commercial accounts in April, tax-exempt in June, residential in October and faith-based in January.
- DWSD will partner with a community organization on a pilot project to address water and sewer maintenance in a specified neighborhood.
Download the complete report.