For Service Providers of Detroit Homeless Residents
The City of Detroit ID Card program – or “D-ID” - was launched December 7, 2017 in recognition that diverse populations, including many homeless residents and those at risk of homelessness, lack an accepted form of government ID, without which they cannot access needed services and resources.
The Detroit ID Card is accepted as Proof of ID by all City programs and departments including the Detroit Police Department. It is also accepted by local health care providers, pharmacies and utility companies. Cardholders may open a checking or savings account at One Detroit Credit Union branches and receive discounts at numerous businesses across Detroit. Regardless of one’s income or residence status in the USA, residents of the City of Detroit with the requisite documents can obtain a Detroit ID card. For more information about the D-ID card program, go to www.detroitmi.gov/Detroit-ID.
To apply for the D-ID the following documents are required:
- An HMIS ID Card or SERVICEpoint® Record as primary proof of ID if client has no other Primary ID Documents
- Secondary ID Documents to total the D-ID program’s requisite 300 points; Detroit ID Application Checklist available here
- D-ID “Chronically Homeless Qualification Checklist”completed by your agency representative which serves as proof of client’s eligibility for the Adult Discount Card fee of $10;
- D-ID “Chronically Homeless Third-Party Certification Letter,” on your agency letterhead if case worker does not accompany client to D-ID appointment; letter template available here
- Proof of Detroit Residency is provided by the Chronically Homeless Checklist and Agency Letter
The D-ID program offices are open on Monday and Wednesdays 1-7 PM, Saturday 10 AM-6 PM; and located in Southwest Detroit at the Patton Recreation Center, 2301 Woodmere St. and in Eastside Detroit at the Samaritan Center, 5555 Connor St., #2210.
To make an appointment for your client:
Please Also Consider Becoming a Detroit ID Partner!
Several service providers for homeless Detroit residents are already D-ID Partners.
If you have questions about becoming a Partner or about the information provided here, please contact Detroit ID Card Program Coordinator José Franco at email@example.com or by phone at (313) 736-5383.