Deadline approaching for Motor City Match
Calling all Detroit entrepreneurs and commercial property owners! The next round of Motor City Match deadline is approaching. Don’t miss out on your chance to earn grant funding, design and technical support, and landlord-tenant matchmaking assistance.
After three rounds, Motor City Match has now handed out $1.5 million in grants, leveraging $10.5 million in investment in businesses in Detroit’s neighborhoods. More than 2,000 business and building owners have applied to the program so far, and nearly 300 businesses and 180 properties have been served to date. Two-thirds of the business winners are from Detroit, and 70% are minority-owner businesses.
Apply by July 1 at www.motorcitymatch.com.
Hundreds attend City’s Property Tax Assistance Fair
Last Saturday’s Property Tax Assistance fair provided hundreds of Detroiters with help on their property taxes. If you were unable to attend the fair, it’s not too late to sign up for a payment plan. The deadline to receive tax assistance is June 30. For more information, go to the city’s website at: http://www.detroitmi.gov/How-Do-I/Find/Property-Tax-Assistance
Detroit People Mover reopens ahead of schedule!
The Detroit People Mover is back in action today following construction and repairs, reopening three days earlier than projected.
The People Mover’s return to service comes just in time for the GM River Days running Friday-Sunday on the city’s riverfront, as well as Monday’s Ford Fireworks festivities and the Points of Light Conference at COBO Center. Standard operating hours will be in effect.
More information about People Mover.
City of Detroit to begin $400K restoration of Palmer Park’s historic Log Cabin
As metro Detroiters get ready to celebrate Log Cabin Day this weekend at Palmer Park, the City of Detroit is announcing that it will spend $400,000 to stabilize and restore this historic structure.
The work will include abatement and clean-up work inside the cabin, as well as replacement of rotted logs, foundation repairs, complete roof replacement and more. The City has hired KEO & Associates, a Detroit-based minority-owned business, as contractor.
Once reopened, it will serve as a community center in the park, offering educational programming, as well as serving as a backdrop for weddings and other events.
Log Cabin Day is a free annual event featuring tours of the cabin, an ice cream social, costumed re-enactors, music, talks about the history of Palmer Park and the cabin, square dancing and more. It runs 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Sunday, June 26 at the cabin.
More information about Palmer Park.
Detroit Riverfront River Days
GM River Days returns June 24-26, 2016. This one of a kind festival takes place along the Detroit Riverfront – from the Detroit/Wayne County Port Authority Terminal & Dock just west of the GM Renaissance Center, to Rivard Plaza and the William G. Milliken State Park. River Days is a celebration of Detroit’s RiverWalk with activities on land and water. Experience all the RiverWalk has to offer, from the tall ships, jet-ski demos and riverboat tours to live music, sand sculptures, delicious eats and much more!
Admission to GM River Days is $3 before 3 p.m. and $5 after 3 p.m. to support the nonprofit Detroit RiverFront Conservancy.
More information about River Days.
What’s Coming Up
June 27 Ford Fireworks
Hundreds of thousands of spectators will line the shores of the Detroit River to enjoy the Ford Fireworks on Monday, June 27. To help make it an enjoyable experience for all, the City of Detroit and the State of Michigan will enforce access restrictions to Hart Plaza and Belle Isle. Admittance onto Belle Isle and pedestrian set-up at Hart Plaza will not be permitted before 2 p.m. on June 27.
Full information about viewing areas, street closures and more.
City officials to break ground on new 8th Precinct building
Mayor Mike Duggan, Chief James Craig and members of the Detroit City Council will be on hand next week to break ground on the new 8th Precinct building near McNichols and Grand River. The reopening of the 8th Precinct will complete the city's transition back to smaller neighborhood-focused precincts. In 2005, the city merged its precincts into larger patrol districts and shut down several precinct buildings. Chief Craig has reversed that decision to provide faster response times and better community relations.
Flex N Gate Community Meeting
Flex-N-Gate employees and representatives from the Department of Neighborhoods will meet with east side community members on Thursday, June 30, to discuss construction of the upcoming Flex-N-Gate facility in District 3.
Flex-N-Gate is a top global auto supplier of exterior trim components, aluminum and steel modular stamped body in white and chassis assemblies, lighting and other OEM automotive products. Flex-N-Gate owner Shahid Khan said his company will invest $95 million in construction and capital costs for a facility that will supply parts to Ford Motor Company. The project is expected to create at least 400 - and up to 650 - new jobs in Detroit over the next three years. At full capacity, the plant could add up to 750 total jobs in the city.
Flex-N-Gate has committed to meeting Detroit-based hiring and contracting thresholds and to develop a comprehensive hiring plan in conjunction with the City’s Human Rights Department and Detroit Employment Solutions Corp. to help ensure jobs for Detroiters.
During the meeting, the group will discuss the project design proposal and community benefits, including employment opportunities.
Upcoming Road Closures:
The Detroit Department of Public Works today announced the following street closings:
- Westbound Cadillac Square between Woodward and Bates will be closed completely from now through Oct. 22, 2016 for street activities.
- Monroe from Brush to St Antoine will be closed completely from now through Sep. 6, 2016 for a weekend festival (Friday to Sunday between 5 PM to 2 AM).
- Jefferson, Atwater, Woodward, Griswold, Bagley, Park, Washington, Rosa Parks Blvd, Fort St, Cabacier, Michigan Ave, Larned, Randolph, Gratiot, Brush, Beaubien, St Antoine, Congress, Madison will have full closures throughout the downtown area on Jun. 27, 2016 from 6PM to 12AM for the Ford Fireworks.
- Westbound lanes on Michigan Ave from Griswold to Shelby will be closed completely from now through Sept. 2016 for building renovation. However, one lane in each direction for both eastbound and westbound traffic will be open at all times, using the eastbound lanes.
- Congress from Woodward to Bates will have northern westbound lane and sidewalk closed for building renovation from now through Oct. 31, 2016.
- State St from Griswold to Shelby will have a partial closure of the eastbound lane and sidewalk for building renovation from now through Nov. 13, 2016.
- Shelby from State St to alley south of State St will have a partial northbound lane closure for building renovation from now through Nov. 13, 2016.
- Griswold from W. Grand River to John R will have northbound lane and parking lane closed from now through June 2017 for building renovation. However, one lane in each direction will be maintained.
- Cadillac Square from Woodward to Bates will have parking lanes closed from now through Oct. 29, 2016 for Food Huts, Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. However, two lanes in each direction will be maintained.
- Washington from Larned to the alley east of Washington will be partially closed from now through Oct. 31, 2016 for building construction.
- Larned from Washington to the alley north of Larned will be partially closed from now through Oct. 31, 2016 for building construction.
- Griswold from Larned to Congress will have the EB northern lane closed from now through Jun. 25, 2016 for building façade work.
- Shelby from Grand River to State will be closed completely from now through Jun. 1, 2017 for building construction.
- St. Antoine from E Lafayette to Monroe will be partially closed from now through December 30, 2016 for building construction.
- Adams from John R to Brush will be partially closed from now through Jul. 1, 2016 for fiber installation.
- Beaubien from Clinton to Monroe will be partially closed now through Jun. 25, 2016 for conduit installation.
- Fort from Shelby to St Griswold will be partially closed now through Jun. 29, 2016 for movie filming.
- Congress from Shelby to Griswold will be partially closed on Jun. 24, 2016 for movie filming.
- Grand River from Griswold to Washington will be partially closed now through Jun. 25, 2016 for movie filming.
- Griswold from Grand River to State will be partially closed now through Jun. 25, 2016 for movie filming
- Shelby from Griswold to State will be closed completely now through Jun. 29, 2016 for movie filming.
- Southbound Washington from Park to Clifford will be closed completely now through Jun. 24, 2016 for movie filming.
- John R from Woodward to Broadway will be partially closed from Jun. 27, 2016 through Jul. 15, 2016 for conduit installation.
- Monroe from Beaubien to St Antoine will be partially closed now through Jun. 24, 2016 for drain installation.
- Southbound I-75 SD from Woodward to John R will be closed completely from Jun. 30, 2016 through Jul. 1, 2016 for building renovation.
- Becaon from Beaubien to St Antoine will be partially closed from Jun. 30, 2016 through Jul. 8, 2016 for fiber installation.
- Northbound Washington from Park to Clifford will be partially closed on Jun. 24, 2016 from 9AM to 3PM for drain repair.
- Monroe from Brush to Beaubien will be partially closed from Jun. 27, 2016 through Jul. 1, 2016 for conduit installation.