Individuals or organizations reserving a shelter must be at their location no later than 10 a.m. on the day of the reservation. Arriving any time after 10 a.m. may result in the forfeiture of your shelter reservation. Early arrival is recommended to avoid any possible discrepancies.
The renting individual or organization is responsible for the conduct of all persons at their event. Below is a list of some important rules and regulations that you should be aware of, but not limited too. For additional details regarding park rules, please visit or call the park administrative office at (313) 628-2081.
A. Permits must be in the possession of the site coordinator at all times.
B. Climbing, walking, standing on shelters or tables is prohibited.
C. Open flames are prohibited inside of the picnic shelters.
D. Grilling on tables is prohibited.
E. Loud broadcasting of any kind is prohibited. C.O. Sec. 36-1-1 and 3a
F. Inflatables i.e. bouncers, jungle gyms, (maximum of 2) are allowed with approved permit from the Belle Isle Administration Office. Liability insurance, from the vendor, must be submitted prior to obtaining permit. Permit fee is $25 per inflatable.
G. Vehicles are not permitted on grass. This includes loading and unloading of vehicles. C.O. Sec. 40-1-29
H. Solicitation of donations or vending of any kind is prohibited on Detroit Recreation Department property. C.O. Sec. 40-1-12
I. All individuals/organizations are responsible for injury to or destruction of trees, shrubs and plants in the immediate vicinity of shelters.
J. All individuals/organizations are responsible for the cleanliness of the facility and adjoining grounds upon completion of the reservation. Litter must be deposited in trash containers.
K. All individuals/organizations are encouraged to use the red cans located at the shelter for hot coals.
To assist in planning for your event/picnic, please note the following:
• Participants traveling by bus, upon unloading, buses may park at the Paddock or Pit Lane, if available.
• Canopies are permitted on Belle Isle in designated areas only with a canopy permit issued at the Belle Isle Administration Office, (313) 628-2081. Permit fee is $25 per each canopy.
• For information on authorized canopy and/or inflatable companies, please contact the Administration Office.
NOTE: (NO TENTS OF ANY SIZE ARE PERMITTED ON THE ISLAND)
• Electrical outlets are not provided at all picnic shelters.
• Propane canisters and gas grills of any size are prohibited.
• The City does not provide Port-A-Johns.
• Tables are provided at each shelter.
• Shelter Reservation Fees are non-refundable, including inclement weather.
• No requests for additional picnic tables.
• Special Events requested must be made 60 days in advance.
• Groups/Organizations interested in prepaid tickets for the water slide must submit a written request to the Park Manager.
Thank you for patronizing Belle Isle Park!