The mission of the Detroit Citizen Corps Council (DCCC) is to harness the power of every individual through education, training, and volunteer service to make communities safer, stronger, and better prepared to respond to the threats of terrorism, crime, public health issues, and disasters of all kinds.
Everyone can do something to help make our families and our communities safer through:
- Personal responsibility: Developing a family emergency plan and emergency supply kits, observing home health and safety practices, implementing disaster mitigation measures, and participating in crime prevention and reporting.
- Training: Taking classes in emergency preparedness, response capabilities, first aid, CPR, fire suppression, and search and rescue procedures.
- Volunteer service: Engaging individuals in volunteer activities that support first responders, disaster relief groups, and community safety organizations. Everyone can do something to support local law enforcement, fire, emergency medical services, community public health efforts, and the five stages of emergency management: mitigation, prevention, preparedness, response and recovery.
The DCCC will:
- Promote and strengthen the Citizen Corps programs at the community level, such as Volunteers in Police Service programs, CERT teams, Medical Reserve Corps units, and Neighborhood Watch groups
- Provide opportunities for special skills and interests
- Develop targeted outreach for the community, including special needs groups
- Provide opportunities of training in first aid and emergency preparedness
- Organize special projects and community events
- Encourage cooperation and collaboration among community leaders
- Capture smart practices and report accomplishments
- Create opportunities for all residents to participate
DCCC consists of representatives from City of Detroit departments: HSEM, community affairs, police, fire, EMS, and health; schools, utilities, non-profit organizations, businesses, community leaders, multi-cultural associations and representatives from the Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT), Neighborhood Watch, Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) and Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS). Meetings are held monthly to discuss, plan and implement various programs, education and training, exercises, activities, and events.
For more information on the Detroit Citizen Corps Council, contact Donna Northern, HSEM, at (313) 596-6558.