NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW CHARITY PREVIEW TO BRING THOUSANDS DOWNTOWN ON JANUARY 13
The North American International Auto Show’s annual charity preview is expected to bring thousands of individuals to Cobo Conference/Exhibition Center on January 13. Ticket holders are expected to arrive around 5 p.m.
Detroit police are encouraging those traveling into downtown Detroit to leave for their destinations early and use alternate routes. Congestion and delays are expected on the southbound John C. Lodge Freeway.
Motorists on their way to Canada are advised to use the Ambassador Bridge instead of the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel. Workers exiting downtown are encouraged to use northbound thoroughfares such as Woodward Avenue, Cass Avenue or the I-75 Freeway.
Motorists should be on the lookout for shuttle buses traveling westbound on Congress from nearby parking structures to drop off visitors at Cobo Center.
Limousines, service cars, and handicap vehicles will be the only vehicles allowed to pass in front of Cobo Center. No vehicles will be allowed to stand or park near Cobo Center. All buses, shuttle vans and mini-buses will use Atwater, Doors 1, 2 & 3.
The Police Department will also coordinate the flow of traffic in these areas:
- Shelby will close between Larned Street and Jefferson Avenue starting at 5 p.m.
- Only designated buses will be allowed to travel on Atwater Street behind the Renaissance Center to Joe Louis Arena beginning at 6 p.m.
- Vehicles exiting at the Larned exit on the southbound John C. Lodge Freeway will only be allowed to go east on Larned to parking areas until 5:30 p.m. The Larned exit will be closed at 5:30 p.m. until the Charity Preview concludes.
- Griswold southbound will close at Larned beginning at 5 p.m.
- The Civic Center ramp from Washington will be closed to traffic starting at 8 p.m.
The City of Detroit also will enforce a No Parking, Tow Zone and No Standing zones
from noon – 10 p.m. on Jan. 13 - 22 on the following streets. Traffic restrictions will be lifted after 10 p.m.
- Congress from Woodward to Third
- Shelby and Griswold from Jefferson to Fort Street
- Larned from Washington Blvd. to Woodward
- Washington Blvd. from Congress to Michigan
- Cass from Congress to Fort Street
- Fort Street between Griswold and Third
There will be no parking of any vehicles on Atwater from Third to Renaissance Drive during the Auto Show.
In addition, individuals can park at a City parking facility and catch the Detroit People Mover to the Auto Show Charity Preview. The People Mover hours are 6:30 p.m. – 2 a.m. The fare is just 75 cents per ride. Children ages five and under ride free. For more information, visit www.thepeoplemover.com
or call the Detroit Transportation Corporation 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday-Friday at (313) 224-2160.