If Home owner is requesting permit, no License is required.
Otherwise, obtain a Licensed Building contractor.
Step-By-Step Instructions for Completing the #1 Application For Building Permit Erection of New Buildings or Structures is available online by visiting the City of Detroit website (under the Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department). This document will guide you on how to complete the application accurately to ensure approval in a timely manner.
Complete Application #2: Application for Building Permit (For Additions, Alterations or Repairs).
On the Application, please provide:
- Detailed description of the work intended to be performed.
- Complete all applicable sections for Additions, Alterations or Repairs OR For Change of Occupancy OR Use of Land OR Enclosures OR Cooling Towers, Ponds, etc.
- Complete all Applicant Information
- Complete Owner Name, Address and zip code.
- Provide Property Location Information.
- Complete Existing Building section.
- Complete Affidavit section. If Contractor, Architect or Other person applies for the permit, Owner & Applicant signs the Affidavit. Otherwise, just Property owner signs the affidavit.
Prepare Application with below Supporting documents:
- 3 Copies of the Application
- 3 Copies of the Worklists
- 3 Copies of Framing plan showing Foundation, footings, etc.
- 3 Copies of the Site Plan
- 3 Copies of Construction Details.
- Copy of Deed or other evidence of property ownership.
- Retail Cost Estimate for change
Obtain clearances from Room# 408 for any outstanding dues on the property.
Mail or Submit in person to:
BSE&ED Engineering Department,
4th Floor Coleman A. Young Municipal Center,
Detroit, MI 48226
Reviews Application & Plans for completness
Determines scope of review
Verifies if meeting Zoning requirements
Review Yard requirements
Review Lot Coverage requirements
Determines if changes are acceptable
Issues Zoning Sign-off
Enter Application details into the Tidemark System
Reviews Zoning inspection reports.
Reviews construction type.
Checks Use Group
Checks scope of repairs / alterations / additions
Issues Structural Engineering Sign-off.
Receives Sign-Offs from Zoning & Structural Engineering.
Prepares to pay Permit Fees.
Reviews Application and Inspection Notes.
Determines Permit Fees and issues bill.
Updates in Tidemark system.
L&P Cashier collect fee in Cash, Credit or check.
Issues fee receipt.
Enters payment details into the system.
Issues Building permit.
Receives Building Permit along with two sets of Application, Building plans and Construction details.