Board of Police Commissioners

Site Navigation

How Complaints are Filed

If you are a victim or witness of Detroit Police misconduct, you have a right to file a complaint by letter, telephone or in person at the Office of the Chief Investigator (O.C.I.) or through any district or entity of the Detroit Police Department. You may also initiate a complaint online by completing the  Online Complaint Form. This information will be directly submitted to O.C.I. An O.C.I. Investigator will need to contact you to verify that all of your concerns are accurately related and to inform you that the complaint has been received.  If necessary, an O.C.I. Investigator will travel to your home to take a complaint.

When speaking with someone at the district in person, you will be referred to a supervisory officer; that is, a sergeant or above.  The supervisor will take the complaint detailing the allegations. Then a citizen complaint report will be completed and forwarded to the O.C.I for further investigation. A Citizen Complaint Report will be made out and a copy given to you.  If you make the complaint by phone or letter, you will get a copy of the complaint in the mail.  If the complaint does not relate all of your concerns, immediately contact the Office of the Chief Investigator for further information or assistance.

(If you wish to file a complaint online, use the online hyperlink above.)