Apply in Person. By Mail. Online
A license is proof of ownership and that a dog has been vaccinated against rabies. Detroit's license is shaped like a bone and each license bears a unique identification number that shows your dog is registered to you.
Dog License Fees:
- Neutered $10.00
- Not Neutered $15.00
What You Need for A Dog License
- Owner Identification
- Proof of Rabies Vaccine
- Payment (Cash, Check, Money Order) Made Payable to City of Detroit
Dog Licensing Requirements:
- Licenses will not be issued if there are fewer than 31 days until the rabies vaccine expires. You will need to get your dog vaccination updated prior to applying for a license.
- A rabies vaccine MUST be given by a veterinarian.
- Licenses are not transferable between individuals or dogs
- You will need proof that your dog is currently vaccinated against rabies prior to applying for a license online. A copy of the rabies certificate bearing the manufacturer, serial number, date the animal was vaccinated, veterinarian's signature and license number must be received prior to a license tag being issued.
- The license tag will be mailed to the mailing address you provide
Apply In Person at Detroit Animal Care and Control Headquarters during normal business hours.
Download Dog License Form
Apply By Mail: Download and mail your complete dog license application, rabies certificate to:
Detroit Animal Care and Control
7401 Chrysler Drive
Detroit, MI 48211
Online Dog License Registration